Xorg crashes several times a day

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Sun Jan 24 17:40:39 UTC 2021

On 24.01.2021 12:37, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
>> with Intel drm no problem, but you have to build and reinstall
>> drm-kmod-fbsd12xxx by hand. lock it with pkg lock so it not get replaced
>> with pkg binary version that is compiled on 12.1 and does not work on 12.2.
>
> Is the graphics/drm-kmod port really necessary and why? The default
> FreeBSD 12.2 installation already contains /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko and
> /boot/kernel/drm2.ko, and I load them from rc.conf.

This graphics/drm-kmod seems to ba "metaport" that initially or with pkg
installs automatically the dependencies. But I noticed that rebuilding
and reinstalling that port does NOT rebuild and reinstall dependencies.
This is why that drm-kmod-fbsd12xxx seems only important (if you use Intel).

I am not sure why these modules are not distributed with default kernel
but this stuff is Linux KPI port so that may have something to do with
GPL tainting..? Also the full path needs to be specified to the drm
modules otherwise the default (those distrubuted with kernel that does
not work with new cards) are loaded and those does not work (quite
obvious isnt it). Brave New World of Bleeding Edge Linux Style :-) :-)

However feedback from the lists and forums could have some impact on a
release organization :-)

>> amdgpu even compiled by hand crashes kernel quite often and it's dangerous
>> to use.
>>
>> you can always fall back to VESA (for bios system) or SCFB (for uefi
>> system) generic framebuffer driver.
>
> Do you remember how to do that, as I have no xorg.conf? The Xserver just
> finds whatever it finds.

1. Remove this new drm (drm-kmod, i915, amdgpu, etc) packages + load
commands from /etc/rc.conf or /boot/loader.conf.

2. Install x11-drivers/xf86-video-scfb (if you use uefi) or
x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa (if you use bios).

3. Generate a default config with Xorg -configure, then copy config from
/root/xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

4. Find a "Device" that matches your video card and set Driver "scfb".

Try running as root first, if that works try running as user, in case of
problems look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log :-)

--
CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, https://www.tomek.cedro.info