Xorg crashes several times a day

Victor Sudakov vas at sibptus.ru
Sun Jan 24 11:31:25 UTC 2021

Jacques Foucry wrote:
> > I forgot to mention that I've tried using /boot/modules/i915kms.ko from
> > the package graphics/drm-fbsd12.0-kmod instead of the bundled
> > /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko - but it is even worse: the X graphics screem
> > freezes very soon after startx, maybe a minute or two.
> >
> > Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > > Dear Colleagues,
> > >
> > > After a recent pkg upgrade, Xorg started crashing several times a day:
> > >
> > > pid 71319 (Xorg), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
> > >
> > > The log https://termbin.com/68b1 looks pretty normal to me.
> > >
> > > I was unable to find the core file.
> > >
> > > Is anybody experiencing similar issues?
> > >
> > > 12.2-RELEASE-p2, xorg-server-1.20.9_1,1, xorg-drivers-7.7_6
>
> I know it's stupid, and you can forgot my answer, but did you recompile from
> sources i915kms.ko module? The one which come with pkg is buggy.

No, I did not, just installed from pkg. I'll recompile/install from the
ports if you advise so.

Is the graphics/drm-kmod port really necessary and why? The default
FreeBSD installation already contains /boot/kernel/i915kms.ko and
/boot/kernel/drm2.ko, and I load them from rc.conf.

Is anything wrong with them?

> > 2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/
>
> Whaou a fidonet address :-) I use to be a point.

You still can, even over IPv6.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49 at fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/