drm-kmod kills FreeBSD

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Fri Jan 22 11:49:10 UTC 2021

Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> writes:

>   With the upcoming solution to have "pkg base" on FreeBSD, i. e.,
>   everything will be packaged and distributed via pkg (cf. Linux
>   packaging: "the kernel is a package"), the problem will probably
>   go away. It's just important that a precompiled package works
>   with the kernel currently running, so building from source is
>   not needed. However, making the graphics drivers become a part
>   of the kernel ("kernel package"), just like sound drivers or
>   network drivers are part of the kernel, would definitely be
>   a welcome idea (even though it should not interfere with using
>   FreeBSD for non-desktop systems not requiring graphics support,
>   so making it somehow optional to _load_ them would be nice).

	For me, compiling from source is less stressful than worrying
whether everything matches and the upgrade process works.  I also use
a (slightly) custom kernel configuration ....

>   > 	(On my to-do list is upgrading one system from a Radeon HD 3300
>   > to something (AMD) that uses GCN.  After weeks of research I
>   > think\\\\\hope I've found the right answer ....)
>
>   It's either amdgpu or radeondrm. ;-)

	Well, duh.  :-)
	The majority of future development work will go into the
amdgpu driver.
	Therefore it makes sense to move away from radeonkms.
	Amdgpu requires a chipset that uses GCN (any version, right?).
	According to my research, the first product to use GCN is the
Radeon HD 7730.
	Or maybe not: I can find nothing definitive from AMD/ATI, and
third-party sources (including FreeBSD-specific ones) are either vague
or contradictory.
	And on a limited budget, it matters.  The price of a 7450 is less
than half the price of a 7970.

			Respectfully,

				Robert Huff

--