tweaking a port (build issue)

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jan 22 05:23:51 UTC 2021

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 17:17:15 -0700, Gary Aitken wrote:
> I'm trying to tweak a port (cad/freecad) and am having an issue getting the
> build to work.
>
> I modified a file in the /usr/ports/cad/freecad directory tree
>    work/FreeCAD-0.18.4/src/Mod/Sketcher/Gui/ViewProviderSketch.cpp
> and did:
>    pkg deinstall
>    make build
>    make install
>    pkg deinstall
>   modify something else
>    make build
>      doesn't look like anything changed.
>
> Apparently I'm using some old forgotten lore which is wrong... clues?

You probably don't need to invoke pkg manually. The "deinstall"
target should do that, as it did in ye olden times. After making
a code change, try this:

	# cd /usr/ports/cad/freecad
	# make deinstall		<--- remove installed program
	# make clean			<--- remove compiler cruft
	# make				<--- build everything new
	# make reinstall		<--- (re)install program

This should work as expected even in the modern pkg times. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany