drm-kmod kills FreeBSD

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 06:25:53 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 7:58 PM Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:

> Chris Hill <chris at monochrome.org> writes:
>
> >   > You need to build and reinstall drm-kmod-g20190710 and
> >   > drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20201016 manually from ports, so module
> >   > gets 12.2 stuff in it, pkg installs binary that is built on 12.1
> >   > and will not work on 12.2 properly. This is a known issue and
> >   > fix :-)
> >
> >   Really! That's extremely helpful to know. Do I actually need both
> >   of those? I'm not sure what the difference is.
>
>         Short version:
>         To do what they do, drm-kmods and gpu-firmware-kmod burrow _deep_
> into the kernel; everything needs to be _perfectly_ in sync or
> ... <hairball!>  On my systems I upgrade as a triplet:
> {kernel+world,drm,gpu-firmware}.
>

>                         Respectfully,
>

>                                 Robert Huff

Easy way to make this "just work" is to add drm-fbsd12.0-kmod to
PORTS_MODULES in /etc/src.conf. This probably should also be done for lsof
and virtualbox-osf-kmod, as well, as both depend on unstable KBIs. I have:
PORTS_MODULES= emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod
PORTS_MODULES+= sysutils/lsof
PORTS_MODULES+= graphics/drm-kmod (or the appropriate port for your system)
PORTS_MODULES+= graphics/gpu-firmware-kmod

Ports listed in PORTS_MODULES are always rebuilt with kernel builds.

I'll also mention that drm-kmod is just a wrapper that picks the correct
port for your version of FreeBSD. If you install drm-kmod, you will see boh
that port and the "real" drm-*-kmod port is installed.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com