pkg solver question

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 17:58:29 UTC 2021

I've noticed this happening on pkg upgrade.

New packages to be INSTALLED:
        postgresql12-client: 12.5
        postgresql12-contrib: 12.5
        postgresql12-server: 12.5

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
        postgis30: 3.0.1_2 -> 3.0.3
        postgresql11-client: 11.8 -> 11.10
        postgresql11-contrib: 11.8 -> 11.10
        postgresql11-server: 11.8_2 -> 11.10

I think what happens is it decides to uninstall postrgresql11-*
because they both cannot exist in the same space. So, it happily
installs and starts postgresql12-*  but postgresql12-* cannot read
postgres11-* data. It's just an empty database. IMHO the best way is
to migrate from 11 to 12 running servers. pkg upgrade basically wrecks
the database, with the only option of restoring from backup or copying
the 11 binaries from another system and putting them in  /opt or
something. (also copying a few libraries that were upgraded)

I think this is not very user friendly and could be much better, at
least a warning.

--
Waitman Gobble