Moving from svn to git for downloading source

Montgomery-Smith, Stephen stephen at missouri.edu
Wed Jan 6 22:20:31 UTC 2021

On 1/6/21 2:10 PM, Bob Willcox wrote:

> Please excuse my rather late joining of the party and asking a question that has
> likely been answered (I've been sick and quite out of touch lately), but what is
> the proper/best way to download the freebsd source if you have been using svn for
> many years? Is there some quivalent command to 'svn co ...'?

I have limited experience with git.  But this is what I did.

git clone https://git.freebsd.org/src.git /usr/src
cd /usr/src
git checkout stable/12 # or whatever you want

From time to time:
git pull

If you want go to a particular "revision", you first do
git log
to see the list of commits.  Then you do
git checkout <hash-number>
where <hash number> is the hex number that appears after "commit ".

I'm posting this to the list, because people might reply with better
ways of doing things.  I just "get by" with git.