Partitioning

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Sat Feb 13 12:23:56 UTC 2021

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021, 20:19 Graham Perrin <grahamperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/02/2021 20:32, david russell wrote:
>
> > In my opinion an all in 1 partition is a disaster waiting to happen.
>
> In what way?
>
> Have you tried accepting the ZFS option?

ZFS IS AMAZING!!!!

Split locations into different pools/containers. Use default installer
setup for start.

Perform snap of a location before each experiment.

Perform cyclic snaps of everything once per month.

Perform cyclic snap of home folder each week.

Create lz4 container for backups. It can compress 1TB disk dump to 300GB :-)

Create your home directory in a separate location (i.e. /ztuff) in a
different location/container and link it to /home/yourusernam. That
recently saved my all data from removing by linux adduser that removed my
home folder because it existed (it removed only the symlink)!!!!

Create pool that is a bit smaller than the disk size so you can later just
add another drive and exend the pool with one command :-)

BIG THANK YOU TO ZFS TEAM!!! :-)

Tomek