OSS usage with i3wm on a Lenovo laptop

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 09:23:31 UTC 2021

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 5:07 AM Jacques Foucry
<jacques+freebsd at foucry.net> wrote:

> Hello friends,
>
> I run Free SD 12.2-RELEASE-p3 on a Lenovo x280 Laptop.
>
> My windonw manager is i3wm.
>
> After many try, I conclude that the correct sound manager is OSS. So I
> uninstall pluseaudio.
>
> It almost work. I can have conversation, using my headphone on Big Blue Button
> and other software.
>
> But, I don't find the correct way to control the volumes, mic or headset. :-(
>
> fossmixer run correctly but I don't interstand how to use it.
>
> I just want to use the XF86Audio… key to raise, lower sound and mic.
>
> Here is my /dev/sndstat
>
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <Realtek ALC257 (Analog 2.0+HP/2.0)> (play/rec) default
> pcm1: <Realtek ALC257 (Right Analog Mic)> (rec)
> pcm2: <Intel Kaby Lake (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
> Installed devices from userspace:
> dsp: <Virtual OSS> (play/rec)
>

> Did some had advices for me?
>
> Thanks in advance for your time and for reading me.
>
> --
> Jacques Foucry

The driver is OSS but it looks like you're talking about Virtual OSS,
which I'm not sure is related to OSS. You can use Virtual OSS,
Pulseaudio, or Sndio - these sit "on top" of the driver.
Anyhow, you might try:

% mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  25:25
Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  59:59
Mixer line     is currently set to   1:1
Mixer mic      is currently set to  67:67
Mixer mix      is currently set to  37:37
Mixer rec      is currently set to  37:37
Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer ogain    is currently set to 100:100
Recording source: mic

I use i3 and I don't think there is a fancy gui applet for audio.

There's a really good X gui mixer with the oss port (not the virtual
port), but that might not work with your hardware.

--
Waitman Gobble