Freebsd-upgrade for 12.2 fails

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Wed Feb 10 13:12:32 UTC 2021

I forgot to upgrade a machine last month and when trying to do so today after running `freebsd-upgrade fetch` and verifying I was on the latest versions of 12.1 (I am, -p13) I get this:

 # freebsd-update -r 12-2-release upgrade
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 12.1-RELEASE from update2.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic src/src world/base world/base-dbg world/doc world/lib32

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
kernel/generic-dbg world/lib32-dbg

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Fetching metadata signature for 12-2-release from update2.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 12-2-release from update4.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 12-2-release from update1.freebsd.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

This may be because upgrading from this platform (amd64)
or release (12-2-release) is unsupported by freebsd-update. Only
platforms with Tier 1 support can be upgraded by freebsd-update.
See https://www.freebsd.org/platforms/index.html for more info.

If unsupported, FreeBSD must be upgraded by source.

 # uname -vm
FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE r354233 GENERIC  amd64

What am I forgetting?

(I checked the history on the machine hat WAS updated to 12.2 and that is the command I ran followed by install and then install again, which seems right, but that machine is not running x64)

--
Rule 1: To every rule there is an exception.