Suggested upgrade for a GeForce GT 450

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 07:07:45 UTC 2021

Again DO NOT TOP POST!

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 1:56 AM Paul Procacci <pprocacci at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you're mistaken.  I like Nvidia and always have liked Nvidia.
> There are limitations to the card however when it comes to gpu offloading
> of tasks that utilize either cuda or similar.
> It's simply not possible.  Full stop.

Again incorrect the documentation for the nVidia driver even discusses how
to set up CUDA here are two of the relevant quotes from it:

"Disabling acceleration is useful when another component, such as CUDA,
    requires exclusive use of the GPU's processing cores. Performance of
the X
    server will be reduced when acceleration is disabled, and some features
    may not be available."

"The NVIDIA driver will not perform any
    mode validation or mode setting for this X screen. This is intended for
    use in conjunction with CUDA or in remote graphics solutions such as VNC
    or Hewlett Packard's Remote Graphics Software (RGS)."

>From an article on the release of 12.0-BETA4 (
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=FreeBSD-12.0-Beta-4):

"This is necessary for FreeBSD 64-bit CUDA support with NVIDIA's driver.
Previously the FreeBSD CUDA support played nicely with 32-bit, but that was
dropped in CUDA 9.0. This should help too for other 64-bit Linux emulation
code for working with NVIDIA's binary graphics driver."