Suggested upgrade for a GeForce GT 450

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 06:48:02 UTC 2021

DO NOT TOP POST!

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 1:05 AM Paul Procacci <pprocacci at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you do anything other than using your machine as a simple "Desktop" I'd
> personally recommend against using NVIDIA.
> You didn't mention anything of the sort so I'm speculating a bit.

Why do some people (not you per se but "people" in general) assume that
nVidia is no good for anything beyond just the most basic stuff on
FreeBSD... I have a GT1030 (no DisplayPort) that works just fine on the
most demanding loads I can throw at it like playing movies at the maximum
hardware specified frame rate and resolution (2160x1440 at 30 FPS [according
to the HW specs this is the max a GT 1030 can do on HDMI]).   Note I have
heard reports from people with more modern cards that there is zero
difference between what the HW can do and what the OS allows it to do with
*ANY* nVidia cards.

If these two things above don't concern you, then you can ignore me
> entirely.  These are just two things that came to mind immediately.
> I've had no problems using any nvidia card I've thrown at a desktop machine
> otherwise.

Since your comments about nVidia are incorrect why mention it except to
show your personal dislike for nVidia (not actual performance).