Is there an easy way to update your own kernel?

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Sat Feb 6 23:12:12 UTC 2021

On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 22:57:07 +0000
Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-doc at fjl.co.uk> wrote:

> I suspect there's no answer to this, but I'll ask it anyway.
>
> I have some tweaked drivers on my server cluster. I'd like to update
> FreeBSD, but obviously keep my driver tweaks. I've found two ways of
> doing this:
>
> 1) Upgrade from source, copying my own driver source over the "standard"
> versions.
>
> 2) To save building everything on every machine, do a source upgrade and
> then copy my custom kernel into /boot (using sftp) after a binary upgrade.

	This is how I do it.

3) Do a binary upgrade but have one machine with the sources installed (so
that they get updated too) and on that machine build and install your custom
kernel, on other machines just install it (mount sources or copy it). Update
the kernel between running freebsd-update install and rebooting the machine.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>