Suggestion for release names?

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Fri Feb 5 00:25:23 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-04 03:11, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 13:34:30 -0700, @lbutlr wrote:
>> I know the subject of user confusion on STABLE and RELEASE has come
>> up in the past, but I found out that releng is also confusing as I
>> was recently talking to someone who only ran releng versions of
>> freebsd because he thought that was an English only version of
>> Release.

>> I know this is probably futile and there's little reason to change,
>> but I think all three animus could be better.
>
> The "problem" is that those termini technici all carry a
> well understood meaning,

> Even worse, if you try to do a mapping of
>
> 	RELEASE-p<n>    |
> 	RELEASE         |          | home user
> 	PRERELEASE      |          | embedded
> 	RC<n>           | is to be | desktop
> 	BETA            | used for | server
> 	ALPHA           |          | tester
> 	STABLE          |          | developer
> 	CURRENT / HEAD  |
>
> this will be very hard and probably won't work. ;-)

I suspect that the terms chosen however many years ago have undergone
shifts in meaning, which reduces understanding.

I think people could better deal with vocabulary if they had a better
understanding of the FreeBSD release engineering process and its
deliverables.

> Maybe the following documentation parts should be more prominently
> presented on the home page?
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/
>
> https://docs.freebsd.org/doc/3.5-RELEASE/usr/share/doc/handbook/current-stable.html
>
> https://docs.freebsd.org/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html

I disagree, but will refrain from commenting on the FreeBSD website [1].

Michael W. Lucas in "Absolute FreeBSD", 3 e., pp. 422-427 [2], discusses
"FreeBSD versions".  Figure 18-1 is very helpful:

-  The trunk is labeled "FreeBSD-current".  I believe this corresponds
to -CURRENT deliverables [3].

- Two branches are shown -- "FreeBSD-stable 13" and "FreeBSD-stable 14".
  I believe these correspond to -STABLE deliverables [4].

- There are dashed lines marked "Improvements" from the trunk to the
branches.  I believe those that arrive at numbers -- 13.0, 13.1, 13.2,
13.3, etc. -- correspond to -RELEASE deliverables [5] and those that do
not correspond to patches.

I suggest adding a similar diagram to the FreeBSD website, supplemented
with explanatory text.

David

[1] https://www.freebsd.org/

[2] https://mwl.io/nonfiction/os#af3e