Paritioning scheme on MBR disk doubts

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Thu Aug 26 15:06:53 UTC 2021

On 8/26/21 6:36 AM, Javier wrote:
> Hi,

<snip>

Hello.  :-)

There are as many strategies for partitioning as there are system
administrators.  I have a SOHO network with three entry-level servers
running FreeBSD and a mix of macOS, iOS, Windows, and Linux clients.  My
approach:

1.  Motherboard firmware set to BIOS mode.

2.  Small, fast, blank device (e.g. SSD) connected to first motherboard
SATA port, so that FreeBSD sees it as device 'ada'.  (The FreeBSD
installer will use all available space, so I used "16 GB" SSD's until I
hacked the FreeBSD installer shell script per my desired partition sizes.)

3.  FreeBSD installer on USB flash drive.

Here are my partitioning notes from when I set up a server with
FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64:

Partitioning                    Auto (ZFS)
Pool Type/Disks                 stripe: 1 disk
                                 ada0 INTEL SSDSC2CW060A3
Pool Name                       f1_zroot
Force 4K Sectors                YES
Encrypt Disks                   YES
Partition Scheme                MBR (BIOS)
Swap Size                       2g
Mirror Swap                     YES
Encrypt Swap                    YES
 >>> Install                     Proceed with installation

David