DKIM

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Sun Aug 22 17:05:29 UTC 2021

On 8/22/21 11:40 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2021 10:04:58 -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> Just for fun I tested, and this another  "google" search engine did
>> not better than my regular "duckduckgo" into technical part, or even
>> rather did worse towards "t-shirts" and other stuff you mentioned ;-)
>
> Valeri,
>
> did you try to search for t-shirts by image?
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/search_by_image/
>
> "A powerful reverse image search tool, with support for various search
> engines"
>
> The default search engines seem to be "Google, Bing, Yandex, Baidu and
> TinEye", at least those are checked here. IIRC I never edited the
> checked/unchecked search engines.
>
> The complete list of reverse image search engines doesn't contain
> DuckDuckGo [1].
>
>> Department of Astronomy
>
> A few days back we had 3 active meteor showers, one of them the
> Perseids close at their peak. I've done a 30 seconds interval, by 20
> seconds time exposures and 10 seconds processing time.
>
> Don't worry, I'll come back to Google vs other search engines.
>
> I got a lot of plane navigation lights, everything that looks like a
> meteor at a first glance obviously are planes far away, since they
> start at 1 interval and continue for usually 2 intervals, but at
> least for a second interval.
>
> One shot shows something, that likely is a satellite flare.
>
> One "star" seems to be only visible on 1 interval out of 721 interval
> shots + 1 test shot before starting the interval.
>
> The shooting was done in the night from 14 to 15 August. IIUC even a
> supernova is visible for longer than 30 seconds, let alone that this
> August a visible supernova was days before the night from 14 to 15
> August.
>
> Btw. I didn't try a reverse image search engine, but googled and made
> my way by following one link by another, IIRC starting with Wikipedia.
>
> There seems to be not a single meteor on any of the 722 photos.
>
> Probably no search engine is much of a help to analyse the photos
> since I don't have any astronomical skills.
>
> For BSD, Linux, POSIX, UNIX novices man pages and search engines are
> similar useless. Today I like man pages a lot, but in the beginning I
> was in favour of search engines, since man pages were way to hard to
> understand without enough basic knowledge.

How strange you would say that. I was posting you into the same age
category as myself. Back then when I was young, we didn't use web search
engines at all. They didn't exist (at least for us living where I
lived). We just were reading the book that came with [personal]
computer, which effectively amounted to and was formatted as a regular
man pages (and had in addition ergonomic, and whatever suggestions on
how to not get your health hurt when using computer whole day). And we
started to use man command [do not remember when I first did].

> However, you are able to use DuckDuckGo with good search terms. A real
> beginner tends to use naive search terms and due to Google's
> advanced analysis and data mining, Google IMO provides more useful
> hits. Keep in mind, Google knows when search engine users are
> pregnant, before the users know they are, but maybe this is just an
> urban myth. If so, its a good myth.

Many non-technical people use google mostly, just because they never
tweak away what is in default settings. And browsers (spare Microsoft
and Apple) play it into google hands.

But funny thing is: majority of people I do technical support for do
seek answer to any, even simple, question by "googling" it. Including
URL of their own department website. One of my friends even made a joke:
do you ask google how much money you have left in your wallet?

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago