StressDisk (was: nvme detached)

Graham Perrin grahamperrin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 00:44:18 UTC 2021

On 19/08/2021 11:55, Dan Langille wrote:

> Graham Perrin wrote on 8/18/21 11:46 PM:
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> If/when you begin using the new disk, then maybe give the old disk
>> entirely to UFS for a run of StressDisk (or whatever you like) to tell
>> whether there was/is a problem with the old …
>>
>> (Copied to the list at Dan's request.)
> The theory being that UFS gives a different test result?

StressDisk is a slight misnomer, in that the utility targets:

* free space within a file system

* not an entire disk.

You could repartition the disk to have a single partition with ZFS. If
StressDisk shows incredibly high throughput statistics with ZFS: it's
eyebrow-raising, but probably expected. (Note to self: Zevo, Mac OS X,
Blackmagic.)

For StressDisk test purposes on FreeBSD: I should probably recommend a
single partition with UFS.

Whatever your choice of file system: make the single partition as large
as possible, so that StressDisk can (through the file system) test as
much as possible of the disk.

If the test causes disappearance of the device: the OS might cope
better, at shutdown time, if the file system was UFS.

If the storage system is ZFS and if the pool's sole device disappears:
when the time comes to shut down or restart the OS, force may be required.

HTH