pkg-search - Querying the non-default repository (not for installing packages)

parv/freebsd parv.0zero9+freebsd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 08:55:27 UTC 2021

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 10:36 PM parv/freebsd wrote:

> I use "latest" repository via default "/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf" to install
> packages on FreeBSD 13-STABLE. To be able to search quarterly branch via
> "pkg-search -r" (able to supply a reponame even if not active per its
> manual
> page), I copied that file to "/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/quarter.conf" ...
>
> quarter: {
>   url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/quarterly",
>   mirror_type: "srv",
>   signature_type: "fingerprints",
>   fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
>   enabled: no,
>   priority: 0
> }
>
> ... but "pkg search -r quarter curl" does not work when "enabled: no".
>
> Is that not how package search supposed to work for a repository that is not active?

Turns about I misread the manual page of pkg-search: "active" is actually a
keyword,
missing from "/etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf". So after I have set to "no" --
"active: no" --
& set "enabled: yes", I was able to do the above query.

On to create find the right URL for 12-RELEASE for a pair of configuration
files ...

- parv