motd service (FreeBSD 13)

Roderick hruodr at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 18:04:22 UTC 2021

On Sun, 8 Aug 2021, Arthur Chance wrote:

>> And for what did now become necessary to generate a motd from a template?
>
> A wild guess on my part, but maybe this is part of a move to make /etc
> read only under normal circumstances.

I see. Bad design ist "improved" with worse design that not even solve
the original problem.

Why the hell the system must prepend a line containing the kernel
version string during start up?!

It should be left to the andmin to add such line to the file (or not
add it).

And if the system realy must do it, it may show such a line without
modyfying motd.

R.