FreeBSD 13-RELEASE install forgest SSD-based ZFS volume

Scott Gasch scott at gasch.org
Thu Apr 15 14:34:09 UTC 2021

Thanks.  It's as you say: when I rebooted with the 13.0 kernel and the 12.2
userland the /var mountpoint (and /home, and /root, and /usr/src, etc...)
sit on the zssd pool which has disappeared.  The system comes up but my
home directory is gone and so is root's.  I can login but the missing pool
means I can't finish upgrading userland to 13.0.

My first instinct was to restore /home which is when I found that creating
the missing pool anew does not survive a reboot in this state.  Apparently
creating an ssd based mirror (or stripe, or single provider pool) with 12.2
zpool and creating some volumes on it with 12.2 zfs then rebooting the
machine causes the newly created pool to vanish again.

I'm considering mounting /var on the HDD zfs pool temporarily and trying to
freebsd-update -r 13.0-RELEASE upgrade again so that I can get userland to
13.0 on the hope that, in that configuration, I'll be able to finish the
update and then maybe restore the missing data from backups.

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions, much appreciated.

Scott