FreeBSD 13-RELEASE install forgest SSD-based ZFS volume

Scott Gasch scott.gasch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 05:56:13 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade a system from 12.2 to 13.0.  The system has two ZFS
volumes: z and zssd.  The former is a mirror set based on spinning platter
disks and the latter is a mirror set based on two ssd devices.

I've gotten as far as installing the new kernel and rebooting at which
point the system is screwed up because, on boot, zssd no longer exists.
Note: the kernel is 13.0 while userland is still 12.2 at this point.

I have backups for everything so my first inclination was to recreate
zssd.  I did this including all volumes with mountpoints on it and rebooted
again.  When it came back up it has lost zssd again.

I'm not sure how to proceed here.  Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.  I'd like to avoid a full reinstall if at all possible.

Scott