Portsnap - Metadata is Corrupt

Oleg Cherkasov o1e9.cherkasov at yandex.com
Wed Apr 14 15:10:29 UTC 2021

On 14.04.2021 16:53, Pete Long wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry if this is something you've recently discussed but I was wondering if
> anyone else is seeing an issue with updating the ports tree using portsnap.
>
> I'm on 12.2-RELEASE-p6 and would ideally like to update the ports so I can
> install the latest SpamAssassin program. Apparently the one I have in my
> ports now won't build due to a serious vulnerability.
>
> Here's the command and output I use and see:
>
> # portsnap auto
> Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
> Fetching snapshot tag from ipv4.aws.portsnap.freebsd.org... done.
> Fetching snapshot metadata... done.
> Fetching snapshot generated at Wed Apr 14 01:09:41 BST 2021:
> 0b344cd7869783c8d72504314f54f27b9ac6225ce21fae          88 MB   26 kBps 49m08s
> Extracting snapshot... done.
> Verifying snapshot integrity... done.
> Fetching snapshot tag from ipv4.aws.portsnap.freebsd.org... done.
> Fetching snapshot metadata... done.
> Updating from Wed Apr 14 01:09:41 BST 2021 to Wed Apr 14 14:28:53 BST 2021.
> Fetching 5 metadata patches. done.
> Applying metadata patches... done.
> Fetching 5 metadata files... /usr/sbin/portsnap: cannot open b1b1cb6ba5967e44b1ece8d63f7cb3d01b2c03fcf6691129dcb1cd5b8fe6024f.gz: No such file or directory
> metadata is corrupt.

The last time I had a similar issue the fix was to remove the content of
/var/db/portsnap/. In case you do not have any custom ports it is easy
to fix the problem. Make a copy of your customized ports and then merge
it after a successful update.

> I should add that my connection to the FreeBSD servers is incredibly and
> uncharacteristically slow at the moment. It could be at my end but generally
> I'm getting almost the bandwidth for which I've subscribed.

It seems there are complaints in the list regarding slow download using
freebsd-update. At the moment the update servers may be very popular due
to 13.0-RELEASE or you have another issue with your network.