Why is freebsd-update so horrible slow?

Erik Lauritsen eriklauritsen at yandex.com
Wed Apr 14 01:45:47 UTC 2021

I have been setting here for about 6 hours waiting for an upgrade from 12.2 to 13 and freebsd-update is only half way through getting all the patches!

It's painful. It's like the 90th with 56k modems and I am on a gigabit wire.

Then I did a search and this has apparently been an issue for several years, it has even been filed as a bug.

Anyway, I have cancelled the upgrade. If it's going to take this long, I am not going to upgrade this, but will most likely replace it with another OS.