resolvconf

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Sun Apr 11 12:44:47 UTC 2021

On 11/04/2021 11:02, @lbutlr wrote:
> The man page for resolvecong says there should be a configuration
> file at
>
> /etc/resolvconf.conf
>
> But this file foes not exist, and it does not exist in /usr/local/
> either.
>
> Right now, resolvconf is adding a DNS server that I do not want to
> /etc/resolve.conf and I want to figure out how to prevent this. I
> wouldn't mind figuring out what is adding it too, as the IP address
> does not appear in any file under /etc/ or /usr/local/etc/
>
> If I create  /etc/resolvconf.conf:
>
> resolvconf NO name_servers 127.0.0.1 x.x.x.x y.y.y.y z.z.z.z
>
> Would that stop whatever it is that is adding the unwanted server
> from adding it and only use the servers I specify?

My /etc/resolvconf.conf just has

resolvconf="NO"

to stop it overwriting /etc/resolv.conf, and then I hand craft
resolv.conf (this is on a desktop machine where the network doesn't change).

> When was resolveconf tasked with overwriting the resolver.conf file?
> Was this part of moving to FreeBSD 12?

Earlier than that. I can't remember whether it was 11 or 10.

--
The number of people predicting the demise of Moore's Law doubles
every 18 months.