Git-oriented and other documentation

Graham Perrin grahamperrin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 07:40:52 UTC 2021

(Dropping freebsd-current from the list of addressees at this point …)

On 10/04/2021 05:19, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 9:43 PM Graham Perrin <grahamperrin at gmail.com
> <mailto:grahamperrin at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     … There's a slight discrepancy between
>     <https://docs.freebsd.org/en/articles/committers-guide/#_shallow_clone
>     <https://docs.freebsd.org/en/articles/committers-guide/#_shallow_clone>>
>
>     (Committer's Guide, undated) exemplifying '-o freebsd' and
>     <https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/mirrors/#git-usage
>     <https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/mirrors/#git-usage>>
>     (FreeBSD
>     Handbook, undated) without the option in at least one example.
>
>     -o <name>, --origin <name> was recently discussed under
>     <https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/ports-transitioned-to-git.79598/post-504699
>     <https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/ports-transitioned-to-git.79598/post-504699>>
>

> Yes. The examples in mirrors were written and copied from elsewhere
> about the same time I decided to make all examples use  -o freebsd. I
> missed these. I'm about  to push a fix.

Thanks, Warner.

----

Incidentally (for people with an interest in documentation) I spent
around half an hour trying to understand how I had found my way to a
mirror of the handbook. I didn't recall being there as a result of a
Google search. Eventually I realised:

* /mirrors/ is used for Appendix A, which is about much more than
mirrors; and

* official mirrors a subsection of Appendix D, with mirrors nowhere in
the URL.

----

At <https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/partv/> in lieu of the
word 'Appendix' four times, there should be:

A. …
B. …
C. …
D. …

----

<https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/> lacks a link to the glossary.

I stumbled into the glossary by clicking 'Next' at the foot of
<https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/pgpkeys/>.