Deprecation of portsnap, and use of portsnap

LuMiWa lumiwa at dismail.de
Fri Apr 9 21:50:16 UTC 2021

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 03:42:48 +0100
Graham Perrin <grahamperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/04/2021 18:42, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 9:22 AM Graham Perrin
> > <grahamperrin at gmail.com <mailto:grahamperrin at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 07/04/2021 16:02, doug at safeport.com
> > <mailto:doug at safeport.com> wrote:
> >
> >     > … I assume EOL for portsnap is in the near future. …
> >
> >     I should not expect deprecation until some time after the final
> >     RELEASE
> >     of 12.⋯ reaches end of life.
> >
> >     <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2020-August/119114.html
> >     <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2020-August/119114.html>
> >
> >     <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2020-August/119114.html
> >     <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2020-August/119114.html>>>
> >
> >     as a reminder that "… 11.x and 12.x will have it of course, …".
> >
> >     (I have seen some confusion from premature declarations that
> > portsnap _is_ deprecated.)
> >

> > in case I'm missing something, or in case this isn't obvious,
> > Deprecated does not mean EOL.  Deprecated is a declaration that
> > usage is discouraged, and that support will be withdrawn in the
> > future.  In which case, use portsnap is deprecated.
>
> Yes and no.
>
> Re: the presence and planned/prospective removal of portsnap, please
> see (for example)
> <https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/ports-transitioned-to-git.79598/post-504229>.
>
> Re: use of portsnap,
> <https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/ports-transitioned-to-git.79598/post-504232>.

I decided for retirement of portsnap and choose gitup. I didn't change
gitup.conf and just rename my old portsnap /usr/ports made new
/usr/ports, run gitup ports and it works than portmaster -ad and
everything is updated.

--
“We live in a world where there is more and more information, and less
and less meaning.”

Jean Baudrillard