Deprecation of portsnap

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Wed Apr 7 17:43:16 UTC 2021

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 9:22 AM Graham Perrin <grahamperrin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/04/2021 16:02, doug at safeport.com wrote:
>
> > … I assume EOL for portsnap is in the near future. …
>
> I should not expect deprecation until some time after the final RELEASE
> of 12.⋯ reaches end of life.
>
> <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2020-August/119114.html
> <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2020-August/119114.html>>
>
> as a reminder that "… 11.x and 12.x will have it of course, …".
>
> (I have seen some confusion from premature declarations that portsnap
> _is_ deprecated.)

in case I'm missing something, or in case this isn't obvious, Deprecated
does not mean EOL.  Deprecated is a declaration that usage is discouraged,
and that support will be withdrawn in the future.  In which case, use
portsnap is deprecated.

--

"Well," Brahmā said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five hundred."

- The Mahābhārata