Help needed: Upgrading packages broke my system

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Apr 7 04:08:59 UTC 2021

In message <CABObuOoHo_M95cczFkQVJb2iv4AXGeG=q76H4NqzADMZypvxDw at mail.gmail.com>, you wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 4:32 PM Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>> I have been seriously remiss in keeping my old 12.0-RELEASE system up
>> to date.  I am trying to rectify that now.
>
>Do you mean you will keep FreeBSD at 12.0-RELEASE and will update
>only the packages?
>
>Or, are you upgrading both FreeBSD & packages?

Yea, my plan was to do both the base system AND all installed ports/packages.

I have it all updated now.  It was somewhat of a nightmare.  I will post
more details of how I recovered from this mess soon.

I learned a lot.

The #1 thing I learned is that if you're going to update/upgrade *either*
your ports/packages *or* the base system, you had damn well have a LOT of
free space available in your /var partition.  Eleswise havoc *will* ensue.

More later.

Regards,
rfg