Access points and liability - Was : Wifi scanner for FreeBSD

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sun Apr 4 09:27:28 UTC 2021

El día domingo, abril 04, 2021 a las 11:07:31a. m. +0200, Ralf Mardorf escribió:

> Hi,
>
> I can't answer the question, but I've got a question myself, so I
> opened a new thread.
>
> On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 10:23:24 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> >"tarara" is my AP in my house in about 900 meter distance.
>
> Isn't it risky to chose that much transmitting capacity?
>
> I'm not aware of any open access point with such a transmitting
> capacity. Don't you worry liability, if somebody does misuse your
> access point? Even if it's not an open access point, there's more
> than enough software available to access "non-open" access points.
>
> I set the transmitting capacity of my wifi to it's lowest level, see
> screenshot selection. Offered are 100%, 50%, 25%, 12% and 6%. I would
> be surprised to see it in about a 9 meter distance.

The AP is a normal AVM Fritz!Box 7430 and sometimes I have problems with
it in my own garden when the signal has to pass through three walls of
normal 24cm bricks. I was really surprised to see my AP in this
distance. Read the full story here about this and how far Wifi can
reach under good conditions. In this case the AP was in direct line
visible at this long distance and the signal was passing only through a
normal window pane.

https://forums.ubports.com/topic/5865/wifi-bq-e4-5-avm-fritz-box-7430-900-meter?_=1617525309372

So don't be surprised if you can't see your AP in about 9m distance, but
others in 90m :-)

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045