Access points and liability - Was : Wifi scanner for FreeBSD

Ralf Mardorf ralf-mardorf at riseup.net
Sun Apr 4 09:07:42 UTC 2021

Hi,

I can't answer the question, but I've got a question myself, so I
opened a new thread.

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 10:23:24 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
>"tarara" is my AP in my house in about 900 meter distance.

Isn't it risky to chose that much transmitting capacity?

I'm not aware of any open access point with such a transmitting
capacity. Don't you worry liability, if somebody does misuse your
access point? Even if it's not an open access point, there's more
than enough software available to access "non-open" access points.

I set the transmitting capacity of my wifi to it's lowest level, see
screenshot selection. Offered are 100%, 50%, 25%, 12% and 6%. I would
be surprised to see it in about a 9 meter distance.

Regards,
Ralf

--
>https://forums.ubports.com/assets/uploads/files/1615713748334-wifi-bank-900m.jpg