Regarding your case number 10724899 [ ref:_00D00hhzl._5004V11emZL:ref ]

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Wed Sep 23 20:47:07 UTC 2020

On 2020-09-23 07:28, discsupport at seagate.com wrote:
> Hello David Christensen,
>
> Welcome to Seagate Support, my name is Arianett and it is my pleasure to assist you today with your Seagate Video 3.5. As I understand, you want an image file of SeaTools Bootable to be used on a Linux. Please know that it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer.
>
> At Seagate, we are highly specialized in technical support for drives which are used in Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems. However, sometimes, there are customers who use Unix/Linux OS and ask for support from us, nevertheless, the Linux Operating Systems are highly malleable with drivers and applications that have no customization boundaries. For these reasons, Seagate offers no technical support for drives under Linux Operating System. We apologize for not being equipped to handle these cases.  We always recommend to use Seatools on Windows.
>
> To ensure we're providing the best support possible we will rely on your feedback as confirmation whether your issue has been resolved or if there is still assistance needed to find a solution.
>
> Regards,
> Arianett
> Seagate Support
>

> ref:_00D00hhzl._5004V11emZL:ref

Why have you not included my original request, as entered into your web
form?  Your response, and my response, are therefore taken out of context.

I asked that you make Seagate SeaTools Bootable available in binary
image format.  While I specifically mentioned Linux, BSD, and Unix, the
binary image format is a defacto standard, neutral, and non-proprietary
format that is compatible with all operating systems (including Windows
and Macintosh).

Seagate SeaTools Bootable is based upon TinyCore Linux, which is
released under the GNU General Public License, version 2 (GPL v2).  By
redistributing TinyCore Linux, you are required by the GPL v2 to make
the source code of TinyCore Linux available.  Where is the source code?

Other software included in Seagate SeaTools Bootable may fall under the
GPL v2.  If so, you are required to make that source code available.
Where is the source code?

By supporting only Windows and Macintosh operating systems, and by
denying support for all other operating systems, Seagate may be in
violation of United States of America anti-trust laws.

Finally, I presume that you believe you have fulfilled the letter of the
law (and, no, I am not going to read 109 pages of mixed legalese and
techno babble):

http://support.seagate.com/seachest/SeaChest_Combo_UserGuides.html

I request that you to fulfill the intent of the law by making a binary
image of Seagate SeaTools Bootable available on your support web site.

Sincerely yours,

David Christensen
Tracy, California, USA
dpchrist at holgerdanske.com