32bit FreeBSD for non PAE Celeron - which release ?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Sep 22 14:53:40 UTC 2020

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 06:57:07 +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> I’m in the situation of preserving/backupping an somewhat older
> Acer Travelmate Notebook with Intel Celeron (32bit, no PAE)
> processor. I suffered already a pitfal from using an Ubuntu 12.04
> which was uncapable.

As far as I know, isn't Ubuntu 64-bit only anyway?

> I would like to boot a FreeBSD CDROM fitting the picture.

You will probably have to use a DVD in case the ISO image does
not fit a standard 650 (or 700) MB CD blank medium, or boot
using USB, if that's possible on the particular hardware.

> Which release  should I choose?

Use the latest version of the i386 (32 bit) family. I've done
the same with lower-end (actually higher-end, but older) Dell
and Lenovo laptop with 2 GB RAM and no specific need for running
64 bit software - works!

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany