Virtual disk, vhdx, vhd - is it nothing but a dd dump?

Christoph Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Sun Sep 20 07:54:12 UTC 2020

Sorry for being a bit off topic, but since it refers virtualization an FreeBSD has VirtualBox, I’m wondering,
whether a so called vhd or vhdx file, which can be produced with virtualization tools like  disk2vhd, might be nothing but a raw dump
of the disk.

Reason behind: I would like to virtualize an HP notebook (an HP11-e-170eg). Several trials failed (Parallels cloning over network,
Hyper-V, p2v Vcenter Converter).

Now I thought of at least securing the hard drive once using

dd if=/dev/sd0 of=dump

from a booted FreeBSD stick to an external USB3.0 large disk.

Question, whether the dump obtaind that way, can be used as a virtualization medium.

—
Christoph