USB sound devices with FreeBSD-CURRENT

Ralf Mardorf ralf-mardorf at riseup.net
Tue Sep 15 23:25:00 UTC 2020

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 11:45:06 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>I'm just confused as to what the audio system selection should make a
>difference as long as it works for wired audio.

Hi,

IIUC audio doesn't work, when selecting an USB audio device.

on Sun, 13 Sep 2020 10:21:52 +0100, Graham Perrin wrote:
>2. if Firefox media.cubeb.backend set to oss then behaviour is the
>same as Chromium
>
>3. if Firefox media.cubeb.backend is not set (audio backend defaults
>to pulse-rust) then playback occurs through IDT 92HD81B1X (Analog) –
>not USB.

The jack sound server allows to select the desired audio device, while
jack doesn't resample, adjust the volume or automatically makes guesses
about the sample rate etc.. Given that it connects with the audio
devices at a sample rate, with the frames and the audio backend (OSS,
SNDIO etc.) chosen by the user and that it has got no features such as
resampling or even manual, let alone automatic volume adjustment, the
audio path is clear, so even if it shouldn't work, troubleshooting
might be more effective, than when using pulseaudio, which AFAIK does
all kinds of things under the hood, that are (at least to me) as clear
as mud.

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=jackd&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+12.1-RELEASE+and+Ports&arch=default&format=html

Regards,
Ralf