partitioning server with 2 hard drives

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Tue Sep 15 22:19:17 UTC 2020

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 21:34:35 +0000
Marwan Sultan <dead_line at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Good day/Evening for all FreeBSDers 🙂
>
>  I want to install latest FreeBSD for a business server
>  erver with the following specification. :
>  Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5 3.5GHz
> Hardware RAID Controller 1 GB Cache with BBU
> 16 GB DDR4 RAM - Total
> 1 TB 7200 SATA
> 1 TB 7200 SATA

	The first question is do you need 2TB of available storage or will
1TB be sufficient (alternatively if you do need 2TB of storage can you use
two 2TB drives).

> I understand its advised to create it in this order and SWAP double (or
> triple) of the RAM (is 50 GB ok) ? /

	That advice is old and if you need to actively use swap then you
need more RAM. That being said disc space is cheap so go for 32GB spread
over the two drives - spreading swap over two drives allows parallel access
essentially doubling the swap bandwidth.

	I would go for a ZFS mirror using the rest of the drives, set up
a weekly scrub and never worry about a drive failure again.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>