OT: proof that Linux is brain damaged

Vlad D. Markov dvoich at aim.com
Fri Sep 4 14:48:19 UTC 2020

On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 07:38:40 -0400
Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://hackaday.com/2020/09/03/linux-fu-moving-usr/
>
> The above is of course trivial in FreeBSD... make the new partition copy
> /usr to it, add mount point to in /etc/fstabs and you're done, and mount
> it... no systemd or other brain damaged components.
>
> --
> Aryeh M. Friedman, Lead Developer, http://www.PetiteCloud.org

Linux is the kernel. Systemd is one of many initialization tools available for Linux based systems. Enough Linux users want it that it is the default in many Linux distributions but it isn't required.

I enjoy the ease of booting up a Linux kernel using busybox and simple shell scripts to get a small dedicated device going. It can be reminicent of old DOS systems.

When criticizing systemd, I think the criticism should be directed at the distributions forcing its use. Linux doesn't have much to do with it.

Vlad
--
I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.?
? Ralph Waldo Emerson