Laptop SD memory reader

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Sep 3 11:58:44 UTC 2020

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020 13:37:35 +0200, Luciano Mannucci wrote:
> I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop happily running freeBSD 12.1 RELEASE
> with an SD memory slot. If I insert an SD memory chip in it, nothing
> seems to happen.

That is to be expected.

> Do I have any chance to make it work?

Probably yes. There is a procedure for that, even though it is
a little inconvenient. :-)

> I think that the relevant part of my pciconf -lv may be:
>
> sdhci_pci0 at pci0:0:20:7:	class=0x080501 card=0xf9251179 chip=0x78131022 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD]'
>     device     = 'FCH SD Flash Controller'
>     class      = base peripheral
>     subclass   = SD host controller
>
> Is there a device node associated with that?

Yes, it's usually a "da" device, like /dev/da0.

Check the output of "dmesg | grep ^da" as well as of
"camcontrol devlist".

For most card readers to work as intended, the medium needs
to be "re-tasted":

	# true > /dev/da0

Now it can be mounted, as the partitions it contains will
appear as device entries that can be mounted. Example:

	# ls /dev/da*
	/dev/da0

	# true > /dev/da0

	# ls /dev/da*
	/dev/da0
	/dev/da0s1

	# mount -t msdosfs -o ro /dev/da0s1 /mnt
	# umount /mnt

This will also work with automounters, in case you're using
one of those. The "re-taste" command needs to be repeated
if the card is changed.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany