What is the "better / best " method to multi-boot different OSes natively WITHOUT VirtualBox(es) ?

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Wed Oct 28 08:11:20 UTC 2020

On 28/10/2020 06:36, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 23:57:05 +0000 (UTC), doug at safeport.com wrote:
>> I would be interested in opinions on the best hard disks.
>                           ^^^^^^^^
>                           a good chosen word, since not many
>                           undisputed facts do exist
>
> In my experiences a batch of series x of vendor y could be very good or
> bad and for the next batch it could be vice versa or a good series is
> discontinued. Interesting are statistics from Google. I don't have a
> link at hand, but I remember that they successfully used consumer
> instead of enterprise disks and IIRC what Google experienced with
> countless disks, was similar to my experiences with just a few disks. I
> read an article years ago.

I suspect you mean Backblaze rather than Google. Here's a link to their
page on hard drives

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

You can get to the quarterly stats and useful hints from there.

> IOW related to the lifespan it seems to be a lotto draw.
>
> Related to performance simple technical facts and clear measurements
> do exist. It was already hinted by this thread.
>
> Shingled magnetic recording makes drives inexpensive, because it does
> increase storage capacity. Due to the procedure it is required to
> rewrite tracks, which results in performance lags. Different SMR drives
> suffer from different performance lags. However, more expensive drives,
> not using SMR technology tend to be faster when writing data.
>
> In the end you need to read a lot of papers and decide on your own what
> is "the best" for you or in your opinion.

And know that will change a few months later anyway. :-)

--
The number of people predicting the demise of Moore's Law doubles
every 18 months.