FreeBSD using swap even though there's a lot of free memory

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Thu Oct 22 13:34:53 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 21 October 2020 07:53:07 BST Polytropon wrote:

> This is a great opportunity to integrate ZFS-based BEs (boot
> environments) into the workflow. They allow you to easily
> revert back changes caused by updates if required.

Well worth doing. That approach has saved my neck a few times when things have
gone pear shaped with dependency issues after pkg upgrade has reinstalled a few
hundred packages.

I normally create a new BE and chroot into it to do the upgrade. That way the running
system isn't interrupted even if the upgrade goes disastrously wrong. If the upgrade
looks OK it's then just a case of rebooting with the new BE at a convenient time.

--
Mike Clarke