Which ports to install to compile gnu binutils?

Christoph Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Sun Oct 18 10:10:56 UTC 2020

> Am 18.10.2020 um 00:34 schrieb Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org>:
>
> Christoph Kukulies <kuku at kukulies.org> writes:
>
>>> Am 16.10.2020 um 22:11 schrieb Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org>:
>>> Do you need that specific version?
>>>

>> Yes. Reason: I „inherited“ a project from someone, who passed away and
>> it is to me to continue the project. He had developed everything under
>> that specific
>> version of the gnu-arm toolchain. I moved everything to Unix and to be
>> sure that my build environment will produce the exact same results -
>> which isn’t the
>> case at the moment (some instructions are assembled differently) - I’m in need of the exact version.
>
> But not necessarily permanently; only until you can verify that another
> version gives you good results. [Where "good" is for you to define based
> on the project's criteria.]

Yes, in principle you’re right. But in the first place I wanted to be sure to produce the exact binary
results compared to the Windows platform. I could prove it now with the macOS version of the cited link.

Later, when I’ll have full control over the process it might be not so relevant to produce this binary identity.

Thanks for your explanations.

—
Christoph