Which ports to install to compile gnu binutils?

Christoph Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Sat Oct 17 07:21:58 UTC 2020

> Am 16.10.2020 um 22:11 schrieb Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org>:
>
> Christoph Kukulies <kuku at kukulies.org> writes:
>
>> Thanks. I gave up resp. I abandoned. It is too difficult (to me at least) to figure out, how
>> to configure binutils to build
>> gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2
>> <https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/4.9/4.9-2015-q1-update/+download/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2>
>> (md5
>> <https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/4.9/4.9-2015-q1-update/+download/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2015q1-20150306-src.tar.bz2/+md5>)
>> from it.
>
> Do you need that specific version?

Yes. Reason: I „inherited“ a project from someone, who passed away and it is to me to continue the project. He had developed everything under that specific
version of the gnu-arm toolchain. I moved everything to Unix and to be sure that my build environment will produce the exact same results - which isn’t the
case at the moment (some instructions are assembled differently) - I’m in need of the exact version.

> If not, the devel/binutils port with the arm-none-eabi flavor will build
> it for you. I can't find the user documentation for using flavors at the
> moment, but
> # make -C /usr/ports/devel/binutils FLAVOR=arm_none_eabi install
> should do it, or the equivalent for your build system (e.g.
> # portmaster devel/binutils at arm_none_eabi
> will also work).
>
> If you do need the specific version, then the (some would say optional)
> first step is to badmouth the person forcing you to use a specific old

:) difficult. I could stand at his grave. May God bless him.

> version. After you've done that, you can either change the port or build
> it by hand. Both are fairly simple: the first involves changing the
> tarfile name in the Makefile and distinfo, while the second involves
> unpacking the tarball and following the README instructions, which will
> generally lead you to a 2-line command invocation.

This gives me a little hope.

> Good luck.
> _

Thanks.