A couple of questions about SSDs

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 15 13:18:14 UTC 2020

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 08:43:10 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf at riseup.net> wrote:

> Maybe HDD are more fragile than SSD. On Tuesday I got two HDD handed
> over in a dpd parcel shop, actually it's a kiosk. They were packaged
> as shown by the image at https://i.imgur.com/1hSKGRe.jpg . Everything
> inside the package wasn't viewable damaged. One of the drives is way
> louder and also beeping at a frequency around 1.4 KHz and already
> suffered from a superblock issue, which is gone now. I probably should
> have refused to accept. I wonder, if my dealer is willing to replace
> the drive and I wonder, if I should ask to replace the other drive,
> too. The other drive still isn't partitioned. However, it sounds ok,
> so it's likely not damaged, but you never know. That at least one
> drive is fishy, might be unrelated to the package's treatment. OTOH
> it's reasonable to assume that it is related. I suspect a SSD is more
> shockproof than a HDD even with parked heads.

SSD is just shockproof. Indeed, how much acceleration do you have to
subject it to have lightweight circuit board with ICs (Intergated
Circuits) to subject for something to crack? On the other hand,
everyone have seen interior mechanical design of hard drive. to brake
it will take much less acceleration.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator