errors happening with /usr/libexec/save-entropy on 12.1-p10

tech-lists tech-lists at zyxst.net
Tue Oct 13 11:19:28 UTC 2020

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 03:09:40PM +0100, RW via freebsd-questions wrote:

>If it fails on 12.1 but not on 12-stable that would imply that
>it's a long standing problem and something was fixed in stable. There's
>no sign that anything like that happened.
>
>I think it's  unlikely that this is caused by save-entropy. All it
>does is dd the output of /dev/random to a file and rotate the files.
>
>When you say that there's plenty of space, are you allowing for the
>fact that the operator user can't write to space reserved for root.

Basically, at the time, I put 2+2 together and made 7. The problem
wasn't with operator or save-entropy at all. There was a process
that maxed out the space when save-entropy ran, just at that
particular time, and then tidied up after itself. Fixed the process,
fixed the problem. Sorry for the noise!
--
J.