Console resolution/font size

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Nov 26 01:27:41 UTC 2020

On Thu, 26 Nov 2020 09:39:26 +1000, Andy Farkas wrote:
> On 2020-11-26 04:12, Polytropon wrote:
>
> > ... vt can still not sufficiently do what
> > sc could do for decades.
>

> The most annoying thing that vt does not do is put the
>
> screen to sleep.
>

> In /etc/rc.conf I have:
>

> blanktime="900"
> cursor="blink"
> saver="green"
>

> which works with sc but not vt.

It also does not support non-UTF-8 encodings such as ISO-8859-1.
Also scrolling buffer does not fully work, mouse cursor does
not fully work, and therefore, copy / paste is often problematic.
And it ties to X, so if I understood the documentation correctly,
you cannot switch back to sc _and_ use X on the same system. Of
course soon you cannot even use sc even on textmode-only systems
as modern graphic cards, chips, or CPU components (APUs) will not
contain their own charsets anymore. The removal of text mode also
removes the contrast from the colors (compare colors of sc and vt,
they're not the same) as well as the ability to call a specific
screen size in characters (such as 80x25 or 132x43) - now you have
to experiment with fonts vs. screen sizes in pixels vs. what your
display thinks it should do. So this is a good time to be reminded
that the future of text mode is using X. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany