Console resolution/font size

Janos Dohanics web at 3dresearch.com
Wed Nov 25 17:04:39 UTC 2020

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 09:45:06 +0100
Christoph Brinkhaus <c.brinkhaus at t-online.de> wrote:

> Am Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 02:03:18AM -0500 schrieb Janos Dohanics:
> > Hello,
>
> Hello Janos!
>
> > [...]
> >
> > How can I make a specific console resolution presistent across
> > reboots? And how would I set a resolution between 800x600 and
> > 1920x1080? Why is the setting in /boot/loader.conf ignored?
>

> Please have a look at efi_max_resolution which is specfied in
> /boot/loader.conf. I use that on one of my laptops.
>
> efi_max_resolution
> Specify the maximum desired resolution for the EFI
> console.  The following values are accepted:
>
> Value           Resolution
> 480p            640x480
> 720p            1280x720
> 1080p           1920x1080
> 2160p           3840x2160
> 4k              3840x2160
> 5k              5120x2880
> WidthxHeight    WidthxHeight

Hi Christoph,

I have changed /boot/loader.conf as you have suggested:

# cat /boot/loader.conf
kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable="0"
kern.geom.label.gptid.enable="0"
cryptodev_load="YES"
zfs_load="YES"
efi_max_resolution="720p"

Works perfect, thank you!

Except: The FreeBSD Boot Loader Menu is not displayed. After 10
seconds, the boot process items keep scrolling at a readable resolution.

Not sure though what that resolution is, dmesg says:

VT(efifb): resolution 800x600

--
Janos Dohanics