Firefox memory usage

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 9 00:04:40 UTC 2020

> On Nov 8, 2020, at 5:19 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>

> tomek at cedro.info said:
>> what is more. something has changed in Xorg recently (1..2 year) that makes
>> it less responsive..?
>
> Somewhere in the past year or 3, Firefox started calling home to see if the
> host you are about to connect to is on their phishing and malware list.
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-does-phishing-and-malware-protection-w
> ork
>
> It's an option.

<rant>
The nasty part is it is “opt-out” stile of option, pretty much as majority of options that are set by default in mozilla’s creatures. Any time I am configuring firefox I have to turn off pretty much all that is on by default.

The worst part hit me just recently: if you give firefox URL: http://[site], and [site] doesn’t listen to port 80, firefox without saying  a word just gives you: https://[site]. It stopped being a tool that can be used by people (like me) who sometimes need to deal with problems.

</rant>

But I still didn’t find acceptable replacement for firefox and thunderbird.

Valeri