Ran gpart bootcode ... now system won't boot

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Fri Nov 6 20:35:33 UTC 2020

Hi All,

I believe I just hosed up one of my systems to the point that it no longer can boot.
I updated my zroot zfs pool following an uprade of the system from 12.1-stable to
12.2-stable. When I did the 'zpool upgrad zroot' it prompted me to run this command:

gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0

So, I adjusted the command to be this since my root is on an nvme drive:

gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 nvd0

That ran ok (no errors) however when I now try to boot the system it drops into
BIOS claiming that there is no boot disk.

So, can anyone tell me what I did wrong here and how can I recover from it?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox    | It's possible that the whole purpose of your life is to
bob at immure.com | serve as a warning to others.