simple shell script to compare two dirs recursively

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Wed Nov 4 16:41:38 UTC 2020

On Mon, November 2, 2020 16:44, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> On 2020-11-02 22:06, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> Thank you for your responses.
>
> It is to keep track of a Wordpress plugin that we must do changes to in
> the php code, I'm just trying to figure out a way to apply our changes
> after the plugin is updated and our alterations are overwritten.
>
> In a way that is simple, that is.

Have you considered using Git and employing branches to track the basic plugin
against your custom version?

With Git if you keep your modified plugin in a branch called master then you
can open a branch called pluginupdate.  Switch to that branch (git checkout
pluginupdate) and install the updated plugin. You can then then use git diff to
identify all of the changes the plugin update made to your copy of the master
branch.  You can fix them in the pluginupdate branch, commit the changes,
checkout the master branch and then merge the pluginupdate branch back into
master (git merge pluginupdate).

Git works by keeping differing views (branches) of the file system and tracking
the changes in each view.  The only trick is that when you make changes to a
tracked file in one view (branch) you must either commit those changes to that
branch or stash them in a temporary stack before you can checkout a different
branch.

   Unencrypted messages have no legal claim to privacy

Canada  L8E 3C3