simple shell script to compare two dirs recursively

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Mon Nov 2 21:16:52 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 20:07:37 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf at riseup.net> wrote:

> doesn't find a match. I don't know how soft links are handled by
> FreeBSD's diff, but the diff I'm used to tends to fail, without the
> --no-dereference option, if soft links are involved. If so, it quasi
> suffers from false positives.

	I'm not sure what behaviour you expect but with FreeBSD diff if you
have a directory full of files and a directory full of symlinks to the same
files (with the same names) then diff will find them to be identical, it
simply reads contents and does not notice the symlink.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>