Xorg broken after upgrade to 12.2

Morten Bo Johansen listmail at mbjnet.dk
Mon Nov 2 08:13:48 UTC 2020

On 2020-11-02 Polytropon wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 07:56:09 +0100, Morten Bo Johansen via freebsd-questions wrote:

>> I seem to remember that I
>> did install something from ports to make the X system work, but
>> unfortunately I didn't take notes.
>
> Did you maybe "pkg lock" that package, so it didn't get updated?

I installed an update of drm-legacy-kmod and now at least
/dev/dri/card0 is created and the video error message has gone.

However, I still can't start the X server. The only error
message which is left in Xorg.0.log is this

    [  2333.719] (EE) synaptics: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad: Kernel bug: min == max on ABS_X/Y

But I suppose this is not the reason? I tried to plug in a
mouse just to bypasss the need for the toucpad but I still
can't start the server?

> 2. setting in /etc/rc.conf
>
> 	kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"

I have this.

> 3. user in "video" group
>
> 	# pw groupmod video -M <username>

I am in the video group.

> 4. no xorg.conf

There are some modular configuration files under xorg.conf.d/
that I did not create

   /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-quirks.conf
   /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-evdev-kbd.conf
   /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf

Should I remove them?

Thanks,
Morten